Before having Drew, Coco (my little dog), was our spoiled rotten child. During my pregnancy, Coco would cuddle up to my tummy and he was very protective of it, so I assumed he would be great with Drew. Well, he was...until Drew started reaching for him and pulling his hair. One day Drew got ahold of Coco's hair AND skin and squeezed and pulled as hard as he could. This caused Coco to yelp and run. Since then, Coco has not wanted anything to do with Drew...can you blame him? HOWEVER, he started attacking Drew. Coco doesn't have many teeth left, so a bite does not hurt as long as it's on your hand or foot. Drew has always thought Coco's 'bites' were funny. We talked to the vet, and he said we really need to watch them when they're in the same room. He said if it gets so bad that we're putting Drew in danger, then we need to take some sort of other action.
YESTERDAY, Drew was in danger. We were playing in his room, and of course Coco was in there. Drew started crawling toward Coco, and before I could get between them, Coco attacked Drew in the FACE. Of course Drew screamed and screamed, but luckily he was okay physically. I called Bryan to tell him, and he was ready to give Coco up. I told him to wait and see what happens over the next couple of weeks. If it doesn't get better, then we'll do something. Not even 20 minutes later, Coco attacked Drew's face again. This time it bruised Drew's cheek, eyebrow, and his lip was bleeding a little. I couldn't help but just break down crying. How could the dog I love hurt my son I love even more? How could I give up a dog I love SO much and take such good care of. No one can take as good of care of him as I do. Yes, he's a nuisance, and yes, we're putting our SON in danger by having Coco around. I just can't seem to come to a conclusion though.
Now I'm asking my readers for some guidance. Maybe you or someone you know have been faced with the same challenge(s). I just really don't know what to do at this point. I was so ready to give him up last night, but then I just keep thinking that maybe it will get better as Drew matures and learns not to get in his face. Please let me know your thoughts, ideas, etc.
What Is A Transgene?
7 years ago



4 comments:
I don't have an answer for you! I understand what you must be going through, though, b/c I would be so sad if I had to even THINK about giving up Walker or Cooper!! I hope Coco will start to behave and it won't be an issue!!
Oh man! I can totally imagine how torn you are. I wish I knew what to tell you!! Maybe I should be thankful that Kenzi totally ignores Cohen. Please update us on what yall decide to do.
That's a little scarry A. You are going to have to watch Coco and Drew really close until you decide what to do.
I wish I had good news. In November we found Raider a new home. I had him for 6 years and he was one pampered little pooch. I thought it would pass, but it got worse and worse. I lucked out a bit and my uncle took Raider, so we still get to see him. He is so much happier! Along with attacking Abby, Raider had started hiding, would acknowledge us with growls and snaps, and didn't even play with his toys. After 2 weeks at my uncle's, he is completely back to the way he was before kids. It was one of the hardest things I ever did. I really cried for a week.
Post a Comment