Thursday, March 22, 2007

The Injection...Well, ALMOST

We went to the doctor today to get the methotrexate injection. However, during our Q&A session, I mentioned that I feel like I have strep or a sinus infection and asked if the injection would affect that. He examined me for illness, and diagnosed me with the flu! He prescribed me TamiFlu which pretty much kills the virus if it's caught in time, and once again I'm giving blood every 2-3 days until we can do the injection. He said the flu may be saving me from the injection because it may give my body enough time to finish miscarrying. We're still playing the waiting game though.

Summary of information from our visit:

- Dr. White is 100% sure this is NOT a viable pregnancy. Why? My HCG levels are jumping up and down dramatically, and the highest we've seen them is 125. Anytime the levels cut in half over a 48 hour period, it's considered a non-viable pregnancy.

- Even if we did an u/s, Dr.White would not be able to see the pregnancy because it's still SO small (probably only made up of about 48-64 cells).

- We will never know if this is an ectopic pregnancy. In order to see any pregnancy, HCG levels have to be AT LEAST 1000.

- If this is ectopic (we will never know), the chance of having another one during my next pregnancy goes up 10%...or there's a 90% chance I won't have another ectopic preg.

- Methotrexate is "chemotherapy". Although used in cancer patients at 75,000mg doses, my dose would only be 75mg.

- Since it's such a low dosage, I probably won't experience any side effects.

- Methotrexate will be out of my system in a week.

- We can start trying to conceive again after I have one regular cycle (1 month from the injection).

- The injection will not cause any future fertility problems and will not affect any future pregnancies.

- Until I get well, I have to have blood work done every 2-3 days starting tomorrow.

0 comments: