Thursday, December 11, 2008

Croup, Ear Infections, and TEETH!


The past couple of weeks have been all about croup, ear infections, and teeth. This picture was taken while he was sick...look at those poor little eyes! He had really dark circles under them for days...we were getting pretty worried.

First of all, Drew came down with croup over Thanksgiving. The poor little guy wouldn't eat, sleep, or play. All he wanted to do was sit around and be held. Of course I didn't mind that. I had to call the weekend nurses, and they gave me things to do at home for the croup. It didn't seem to be getting better, so we finally went to the pediatrician where they prescribed Drew a steroid. Toward the end of that cycle, he still wasn't playing or eating or sleeping, and he was still running a low-grade fever. So, we had to take him back to the doc. This time they found an ear infection! Antibiotics were added to his list of daily meds. He had been on the antibiotics for just a couple of days when I noticed him still being fussy. I was really concerned until one night (Saturday, 12/6) he started drooling more than usual. I checked out his gums, and sure enough the top corner of one of his bottom left tooth had cut through. NO WONDER! Our poor little baby boy had been suffering from pain from all of the above...I don't blame him for acting the way he was!

Today Drew is doing much better. Yesterday morning he woke up with another low-grade fever, but he was acting just fine. I looked at his gums again, and I noticed his other tooth is getting ready to come in. So here goes another fussy week, but at least it's because of new teeth and not illnesses.

0 comments: