Friday, February 26, 2010

It's Been Confirmed: I'm Gigantic

So, I went for my 22 week check-up today, and I had a list of 3 things to talk to my doctor about:

1. I'm feeling like poo. Can you prescribe me something?
2. Is my inhaler safe for me to take during my pregnancy?
3. When do we schedule the c-section?

Well, it wasn't until we discussed a "bigger" matter that I got the answers to these questions. What's the "bigger" matter, you ask? ME!! The good news is I only gained HALF of what I gained the previous month...and the previous month was BAD. I was kinda proud of not gaining that much again. Anyway, the doctor walked in and he asked me how I was, and I told him that I haven't been feeling very well, and I feel absolutely gigantic. He assured me it was because it's my second pregnancy, and it's normal. Well, when I laid down on the table for him to listen to James' heartbeat, he felt my stomach and told me maybe I am a little bigger that I should be at this point. We continued to listen to James' little heartbeat and then the conversation went something like this:

Doctor W: "Did you ever watch Bugs Bunny when you were little?"
Me: "Yes, I loved the coyote. Why?"
Doctor W: "Well, do you remember the Tazmanian Devil? [enter smirk here]"
Me: "Ummm, yeah?"
Doctor W: "This little guy has kicked at LEAST 8-10 times already, and that's how many kicks we look for in a full DAY at this point. You may have a little Taz in there."
Me: "JOY!"
Doctor W: "Okay, let's measure your stomach. You remember the guidelines, right? For every week you're pregnancy, you should measure that much in centimeters...so you're 22 weeks pregnancy, so you should be measuring about 22 centimeters."
Me: "Yeah, I remember."
Doctor W: "[Enter another smirk here]"
Me: "Oh great. What?"
Doctor W: "You're measuring 27 centimeters...so you're the size of someone who's 27 weeks pregnant. I'm your second opinion, and yes you're gigantic. Hahahaha. Maybe you're just carrying him high?"
Me: "I don't think so Doctor W. He feels like he's going to fall out the bottom of my belly any day now. I don't think that means I'm carrying him high."
Doctor W: "Well, I was just trying to make you feel better. Everything looks good though."

SO, to sum up my appointment, either James is measuring 5 weeks ahead of schedule or I'm just huge or I'm carrying him high. I don't think there's any concern at this point. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens at my next appointment next month.

As far as the answers to my questions go:

1. I have a sinus infection, so I'm starting a ZPak today and will be loading up on OTC meds with it.
2. My inhaler is safe to use during the pregnancy.
3. We will schedule the c-section at my 30-32 week appointment. It will more than likely be scheduled for June 22...even though there's a chance the baby could come on his own before then.

0 comments: