Friday, July 2, 2010

Drew's a Big Brother!


*My apologies for getting this post out a little late. Better late than never, right?*

James Christian Davenport was born via c-section on Friday, June 25, 2010 at 8:31am.
Weight: 9 pounds
Length: 21 1/2 inches

Yes, that's a big baby. He's not fat, but he's long! And, he has the longest, skinniest feet I've ever seen on a newborn! His fingers are super long too. Maybe we have a basketball player on our hands??

Anyway, surgery didn't go as well as I had planned. The spinal hurt worse than I remembered, and I got sick in the middle of surgery. Yes, they still had me open, and I started throwing up. Lovely. Luckily I had the best anesthesiologist on this planet! She stood right by me with a container to catch everything. I proceeded to be sick until about 3pm when all of the nausea meds finally kicked in, and the morphine started wearing off. On a good note, Bryan has grown up! Until James' birth, Bryan has gotten faint at just the thought of blood. When Drew was born, he had to leave the O.R. because he was going pass out just by the site of Drew...bloody and not pink. He was so afraid the same thing would happen this time around, but it didn't! In fact, Bryan watched the doctors pull James out! I couldn't believe it when they told him James was about to come out and Bryan stood up and watched the whole thing! It was amazing. Now I just wish I had watched too. It was almost as great just watching Bryan's eyes as James was born...proud Daddy eyes :)

I had the BEST experience in triage and recovery. The nurse was AMAZING. And, now they admit the babies right there in the recovery room so I got to spend my entire recovery time with James. The only thing I didn't get to witness was his first bath and blood pressure. I got to see them measure him, prick his heel, and everything else they usually do in the nursery. It was awesome.

My dad brought Drew up to the hospital the first evening to meet his baby brother. His reaction was NOT what I expected. I expected him to be shy, but he was actually mad...at me. He was fine with the baby, but he REFUSED to look at me or even talk to me. It just broke my heart. Every day since then has gotten better. He finally gave me a kiss on Thursday, and now he knows he has to climb up on me himself if he wants to sit in my lap. He is ALMOST back to his normal lovey-doveyness with Mommy.

As for his reaction toward James...he LOVES him. He wants to tickle and kiss him all of the time. We really have to watch him because he loves to get in his face. Today he tried to kiss him on the lips! It was sure cute, but a little too soon for that. Every morning, Drew wants to know where "baby" or "James" is. He just lights up when he finally gets to see him. He is definitely going to be a great big brother, much to my surprise. I just love it!

Bryan was a great big help the first week home. He took off the entire week to stay home with us so we could all get used to having 4 in this family. I know he is worn out from taking care of all 3 of us, but I sure appreciate it more than he knows. I dreaded the day he went back to work. Although my mom is helping out, it's not the same. The boys' daddy won't be around during the day anymore. Drew doesn't get to play in the rain with Daddy or go shopping with Daddy until the weekends. It's worked out so far, though.

I had my 2 week post-op appointment yesterday, and the doctor released me to drive if I need to. However, I'm still not allowed to pick up Drew, only James. We're still figuring out how this is going to work over the next 3 weeks. My mom is such a huge help, but I hate relying on her so much. Bryan is going to be traveling Mondays-Wednesdays for the rest of the month, so I'm obviously going to need some sort of help.

So, since this post is getting SUPER long, I'll just leave it at this...life with 2 little boys has been fun, challenging, and rewarding. I can't wait until they start playing (and fighting) together!

1 comments:

Tiffany said...

So great to hear that all is well and are mom's the best :o)
Tiffany
www.pedicurestopuddles.blogspot.com